If you have been denied short- or long-term disability benefits, contact us. We can help.
We have helped thousands of people across Ontario obtain disability benefits that were wrongfully denied by their own insurance companies.
We have experience successfully advocating for people who suffer from depression, anxiety, fibromyalgia, chronic pain, chronic fatigue syndrome, autoimmune disorders, mild traumatic brain injury, chronic headaches, psychological trauma, post-traumatic stress disorder, long COVID, along with a range of other disabling medical conditions.
If you believe your short- or long-term disability or critical illness benefits were wrongfully denied in Ontario, you need a lawyer who can defend your rights.
A Comprehensive Guide to Long-Term Disability Claims in Ontario
This Guide was created for Canadians who are planning to apply or who have applied for Short-Term Disability (STD) or Long-Term Disability (LTD) benefits. In this Guide, you will find:
- Information about the application process, types of insurance policies, and common terms or language you may encounter while reading your policy;
- A review of illnesses, conditions and other disabilities frequently covered by disability insurance;
- An explanation of Canadian Pension Plan (CPP) disability benefits; and
- Answers to questions about why some applications are denied, and how an experienced Howie, Sacks & Henry LLP disability benefits lawyer can help access the benefits you deserve.
You may have long-term and short-term disability insurance available to you through an employer’s benefit plan or you may have purchased it directly from an insurer.
By paying the required premiums, employees and private purchasers are owed disability benefits in the event of an injury or disability that prevents them from working.
Reasons for Denials
Unfortunately, insurers don’t always hold up their end of the contracts and deny claims based on reasons such as:
- Applicants are not disabled
- Applicants are able to do a different job
- Applicants made misrepresentations about their medical conditions on their insurance applications
We believe disabled employees deserve the benefits they are owed. And we will do whatever it takes to ensure we obtain the best results for our clients.
Disability Law Matters We Can Assist With Include But Are Not Limited To:
- Anxiety Disorders
- Chronic Pain and/or Fibromyalgia
- Major Depressive Disorder and Depression
- Mental Health and Mood Disorders
- Sexual Abuse and Sexual Harassment
At Howie, Sacks & Henry LLP we have disability claims lawyers that can meet with you throughout Ontario, including in:
Barrie, Belleville, Brampton, Brant, Brantford, Brockville, Cobourg, Dryden, Kingston, Kitchener-Waterloo, Leamington, London, North Bay, Oakville, Oshawa, Ottawa, Pembroke, Peterborough, Sarnia, Sault Ste. Marie, St. Catharines, St. Thomas, Stratford, Sudbury, Thunder Bay, Timmins, Welland and Windsor.