In February, HSH along with the rest of Canada recognizes Black History Month (BHM) as an opportunity to restate our devotion toward creating a more fair and unprejudiced society. This year's theme for BHM is “Ours to tell.” This theme acknowledges the importance of engaging in open conversations and educating ourselves about black communities in Canada, including their histories, successes, sacrifices, and triumphs.
We acknowledge that it takes more than merely having the right intention. Of crucial importance is taking action and creating change. One of the ways our firm is doing so is by prioritizing access to opportunities and opening doors for those who have faced systemic and inter-generational hurdles. In 2022, HSH (in partnership with the University of Windsor Faculty of Law), proudly established the Howie Sacks & Henry LLP Racialized Student Scholarship which is awarded annually to a full time Law student who identifies as Black, Indigenous or of a racialized community and who demonstrates financial need.
To celebrate Black History month, we invite you to join us by getting involved and educating yourself on Black History Month and Black organizations.
Celebrate and Support Black Owned Businesses and Events
- Attend the BLACK OWNED TORONTO MARKET PLACE Saturday, February 25th from 11:00am- 4:00pm at the Weston Family Learning Centre, Art Gallery of Ontario.
- Attend or volunteer at the Toronto Black Film Festival from February 15-20, 2023
- Join the Mentorship Program created by The Canadian Association of Black Lawyers (CABL) and BLSA Canada.
- Black History Speaker Series
- The Law Society of Ontario is hosting a “Black History Month Program” on February 28, 2023, from 6:30-8:30pm
- The Ontario Trial Lawyers Association is hosting a roundtable discussion called “Anti-Black Racism: The Verb” on Friday, February 24, 2023 from 12:30-1:30pm
- The Toronto Public Library is honouring Black history and culture by hosting live and on-demand events throughout the month of February (and year round) and has also compiled Reading Lists of recommended books in honour of Black History Month.