HSH was proud to continue our sponsorship of “Helmets on Kids,” a program started by the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association (OTLA) in London, Ontario in 2002. The goal of the project is to donate bicycle helmets and to promote education and awareness on proper bicycle helmet use.
The program came to Peel Region in 2008 with the purchase of the first 500 helmets. Helmets on Kids – Peel is a joint venture of the Brain Injury Association of Peel and Halton, OTLA, Peel Children’s Safety Village, Peel Regional Police, Peel Public Health and Peel District School Board.
Approximately 500 Peel students in grades 3 and 4 will receive free bike helmets through this safety initiative co-ordinated by the Peel Children’s Safety Village. The cost of the helmets has been generously covered through donations from members of the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association.
Schools were selected based on data from the 2014 Social Risk Index. This year we will be supplying helmets to selected students in grades 3 and 4 in the following schools:
- Birchbank P.S. Morton Way P.S.
- Brookmede P.S. Mountain Ash P.S.
- Eastbourne Drive P.S. Ridgeview P.S.
- Fairview P.S. Silver Creek P.S.
- H.F. Loughin P.S.. Springfield P.S.
Each of the schools participating in the Helmets On Kids initiative will enjoy a 25 minute educational safety assembly at their school presented by Peel Regional Police and Peel Children’s Safety Village staff. School staff will select students to receive a helmet who may not otherwise be able to acquire one.
Media Launch on June 14th
Press were invited to attend the media launch of this program on Thursday, June 14, 2018, at 11:30 am at the following location:
Morton Way Public School, 200 Morton Way, Brampton, ON L6Y 2P8
Invited guests include many valued partners and supporters of this important project:
- Chief Jennifer Evans – Peel Regional Police
- Deputy Chief Chris McCord – Peel Regional Police
- Superintendent Manuel Rodrigues – Peel Regional Police
- Inspector Taufic Saliba - Peel Regional Police
- Detective Sergeant Mark Dapat – Peel Regional Police
- Sergeant Mike Szabo – Peel Regional Police
- Cst. Alisa Daniele – Peel Regional Police – Safety Village
- Peter Joshua - Director of Education, Peel District School Board (PDSB)
- Janet McDougald – Chair, PDSB
- Kathy McDonald – Trustee, PDSB
- Wendy Dowling - Associate Director of School Support Services, PDSB
- Poleen Grewal - Associate Director of Instructional and Equity Support Services, PDSB
- Jaspal GiIl - Associate Director of Operational Support Services, PDSB
- Mark Haarmann - Superintendent of Leadership Development and School Support Services, PDSB
- Jeff deFreitas - Superintendent of Schools, PDSB
- Jorun Rucels, Executive Director of the Brain Injury Association of Peel/Halton (BIAPH)
- Sandev Purewal (Gluckstein & Associates)
- Guest lawyers representing the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association (OTLA)
- Pamela Foster, Howie, Sacks & Henry LLP
Bike Safety Helmet Tips from BIAPH