Neil Sacks presented at the Successful Settlements: Strategies & Tactics for Civil Litigators. The event was held at the Osgoode Professional Development Centre.
With 96% of civil cases settling before judgement, it’s critical to maximize your understanding of key settlement issues and techniques. The program addressed:
- The psychological factors that impel a party towards settling or resisting settlement
- Adjusting your settlement strategies to specific contexts (personal injury, commercial, employment, estates and construction disputes)
- The growing use of settlement counsel in conjunction with litigation counsel – what it means for clients and counsel
- Apps and social media as useful settlement tools
- Surmounting potential pitfalls in drafting offers to settle, minutes of settlement and releases
- Using the courts to enforce the settlement or to interpret its terms (including the impact of Union Carbide (SCC) on settlement privilege and its exceptions)