Servicing Burlington and all of Ontario
One of the most magical moments of a pregnancy occurs when you first hear the fetal heartbeat. With each passing week, that tiny heart grows stronger. During the course of a pregnancy the fetal heartbeat grows faster or slows according to its stage of development. But an abnormally fast heart rate (fetal tachycardia) can be a sign of fetal distress, and it requires prompt medical attention and intervention to minimize the risk of long-term damage.
Fetal tachycardia can be an indication of maternal or in utero infection, poor management of maternal medications of medical conditions, or potentially serious complications from placental abruption or insufficiency. These conditions can compromise nutrient delivery to the developing fetus or result in perinatal asphyxia, anoxia or hypoxia (oxygen deprivation or absence) that may lead to permanent brain damage.
If a medical provider’s negligence or incompetence breaches standards of care and causes serious harm to a mother, her fetus or her newborn child, it’s called obstetrical malpractice. Preventable birth injuries from obstetrical malpractice can change the course of a life forever in a matter of moments.
How Obstetrical Malpractice Can Lead To Birth Injuries
Birth injuries can occur at any stage of a pregnancy, during labour and delivery, or immediately following a birth. A medical practitioner can cause or contribute to a preventable birth injury if they breach standards of practice while providing obstetrical care.
Examples of obstetrical malpractice leading to injury include:
- Misdiagnosis, delayed diagnosis or poor management of a serious maternal or fetal medical condition
- Failure to perform standard tests and to accurately interpret their results
- Poor judgment of circumstances that contribute to a prolonged or traumatic birth
- Poor postpartum monitoring a care
Common birth injuries that may result from this substandard obstetrical care include:
- Brain Damage and Cerebral Palsy – from untreated maternal or in utero infection, perinatal asphyxia, anonxia or hypoxia, placental insufficiency or head trauma during forced extraction
- Brachial Plexus injuries – often the result of complications from shoulder dystocia (where the baby’s shoulders remain lodged behind a woman’s pelvic bone) the network of nerves between the neck and shoulders may be stretched or torn
- Spinal Cord Injuries, Fractures, Soft tissue damage – Poor technique during a forced extraction can lead to serious injuries and disfiguring scars
- Kernicterus – A condition resulting from severe jaundice post-birth that cause neurotoxicity and brain damage
When You’ve Been Hurt, We Can Help
Howie, Sacks and Henry’s birth injury lawyers are ready to help in Burlington if you or someone you loved is the victim of obstetrical malpractice. In this complex area of law, you can benefit from choosing a knowledgeable, experienced and skilled legal team to assist you in making a claim. Recognized by our peers as one of Canada’s top personal injury firms, we have developed the expertise needed to take on even the most complicated and challenging cases.
HSH clients living in the Burlington area can arrange to meet with one of our birth injury lawyers in their own home or at a nearby consultation office. We believe that distance or ability to travel should never be a barrier to accessing high quality legal representation.
With our strong reputation for client-centred service and care, you can be sure that you are always more than a file to us. During this difficult time in your life our team will endeavour to treat you with the compassion, respect, and kindness you deserve.
After listening to your birth story, we will explain your options and offer our advice. We’ll take time to answer all of your questions and ensure you’re comfortable with the direction we take and are fully engaged in the process. HSH birth injury lawyers will also gladly assist in arranging and facilitating any testing, evaluations or therapy you or your loved one will need to support both your case and rehabilitation.
When you choose and HSH birth injury lawyer to be your trusted advocate in Burlington, we’ll be on your side and by your side on the road to recovery and healing. While we can’t change the pain, suffering and loss you’ve experienced in the past, we can support you as to seek the financial resources you need and deserve to ensure you have hope there are better days ahead.
Looking to work with a birth injury lawyer in Burlington? Contact Us.
We serve the Burlington and surrounding areas. When you think Birth Injuries Lawyer Burlington, Think Howie, Sacks & Henry.